To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions

City Hall

What hours is City Hall open?

City Hall office hours are posted weekly.  The schedule varied to try to accommodate the residents of Hopkins.  Please Call (660)852-9203 for accomodations.


May I burn trash and leaves inside the city limits?

No, not at the current time due to dry conditions in our county.  Please contact city hall if you have any questions.

Park Facilities

Access to Plug-Ins

The park has been newly rewired with additional lighting and plug-ins.

Access to RV hookups

The park has been newly rewired with four RV hookups.


There will be a minimal fee of $10.00 payable to Hopkins Community Club for use of the plug-ins.

Contact Info

Contact can be made with Rick's Country Shoppe to obtain a key to unlock the hookups for use.

Sanitation & Recycling

When are the garbage collection days for my street?

Please refer to the monthly schedule. Remember, observed holidays will alter the normal routine.

Water Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

Please contact our office and a one-time extension will be extended to you for extenuating circumstances.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.


How do I sign up for water/sewer services?

Simply contact the City Clerk at City Hall at 660-778-3688 and request a Water Users Agreement form.  Or just print the one at the bottom of this page.  Once the Water Users Agreement is filled out drop it off at City Hall along with the $200.00 water deposit and a time will be set up to have the water turned on.

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Where do I go to vote?

All City elections are conducted by the Nodaway County Clerk's Office.  Please contact Nodaway County Clerk's Office for voting site information.

How do I get water and sewer turned on in my name?

Simply contact the City Clerk at 660-778-3688 or come to City Hall at 204 N 3rd Street on Tuesday or Thursday between 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.

How much is the water deposit for the City of Hopkins?

The City has a water deposit in the amount of $200.00 to be paid prior to having water services turned on.